Saturday, December 15, 2007

Welcome to this blog!

Welcome to this blog!

First, let's answer the obvious question; why blog?

I am not sure I like the blog concept in the first place. I perceive it as being a lot like talk radio; an immediate and emotional reaction to current events. As is the case with talk radio, in order to build an audience, one has to publish frequently, and unfortunately, the quality of content thereby suffers.
It has been my observation that blogs that are trying to deal with issues beyond those of personal nature rapidly fall into a vicious circle that brings the blogger to post less than accurate information, and then defend his erroneous posts in talk-backs. Posting unprocessed data is easy and content is readily available on the Web for whomever might want to do so. However, good information takes time.

Why blog then? Because it is the only outlet that I could find which will lets me consolidate my thoughts and research into one easy to consume mass-medium, at, well, zero cost!
So, in order to try to mitigate the negatives, posting frequency will be sacrificed at the profit of what I hope will be increased content quality. In order to provide both, other like-minded bloggers might eventually want to join me in posting on RBP, provided they share the same concern for quality.

Which subjects will be covered and how?

Preferably Canadian politics and policies, with a strong focus on Québec. I will certainly venture into other territories, but with the idea of bringing context to the rest of the posts.

As for the vision or, I should say, the editorial slant: my bias is towards political/social/economical initiatives yielding measurable positive societal results. Being an observer of the last 15 years of politics in Canada as led me to believe that the current polarization of various discourse along ideological lines makes, at best, for fun debate, but rarely yields beneficial or any results at all. In that respect, my bias is not to the left or to the right, authoritarian or libertarian. I believe that the best of solutions require non-partisan analysis.

What I actually dream for is not for a new generation of politicians with radical ideas but rather a new generation of electors who will be able to think outside of their "of-the-moment" belief system. I believe that the challenge of our generation has not yet been fully understood. With commoditization and democratization of information, our challenge is to understand the context into which it can properly be interpreted. Only once individuals can accurately process the wealth of information available to them will society benefit from the productivity gains it can yield.

Let's get started...