Thursday, May 21, 2020

Flexibility of smaller, more fuel efficient planes trump behemoths

I remember, 14 years ago, when I was doing my MBA in Ottawa, I had a discussion with one of my professors; I was convinced that the large planes with 500+ passengers were the way of the future due to the boom in travel.

My point was that these cost so much to that it will be harder for aircraft vendors and airlines to upgrade, and as such, smaller planes would be always beat them on operational efficiency.

Furthermore, travelers are increasingly more interested in exotic destinations which require point-to-point service, something that huge planes are not good at.

Another point he was making was that airports would become the limiting factor as the number of movements would limit their ability to grow and this would therefore support the rationale for larger planes.
I didn't think this was a good argument either as the incentives for larger planes are with the airports, not the airlines and there's no clear reason why the airports would be able to pass the incentives to the airlines in a realistic way .

So, now, almost 15 years later, it seems that history proved me right; airports are much larger, and behemoth planes are on the way out. 


Russia was dabling with the idea of a massive Sukhoi KR-860. It would have been a gigantic failure...